Sunday 30 August 2009

Nokia back to their very best


I have loved mobile phones from the moment I first had the opportunity to lay my hands on one. I consider myself to be something of an authority on the subject, especially during the years 1997-2003 when I was involved in the mobile phone retail trade.

Anyone who was an early adopter of hand held mobile phones will fondly remember the ubiquitous Motorola ‘brick’, this was the height of cool during the 1980’s, but far too expensive for someone of my age to afford. I did not actually own one myself, but my boss at the time did and boy was it a head turner. Not in the way it would turn heads now as people stopped and looked in amazement as you hauled this truly enormous phone to your ear, but because it was ultra high tech. It was the almost the stuff of science fiction when it arrived in the UK.

Motorola continued to dominate the market for a number of years; they introduced the Micro Tac series and eventually the legendary Star Tac. If my memory serves me right I would say their first serious competitor was the Japanese firm NEC. NEC produced an instant classic called the NEC P3. By the standards of the day the P3 was very slim and it was the first phone you could fit in to your pocket – but your pocket had to be deep. An interesting and much exploited tweak to the P3 was a feature which allowed users to turn it into a scanner which at the time could pick up police radio transmissions. This was illegal – but fun!

The next major player to emerge was the Finnish firm Nokia, soon followed into the mass hand held market by Ericsson of Sweden. Lots of other manufacturers such as Oki, Mitsubishi, and Nortel come and went. When the market consolidated the big players still in the game were Motorola, Nokia, and Ericsson. NEC faded after their failed successor to the P3, the P4 failed to keep their market share.

At this time all the phones mentioned were still analogue. They did not have the facility for a sim card (subscriber identity module) and this meant they were notoriously easy to listen to, along with police transmissions which were also analogue at the time. All that was needed was a £200 scanner from Tandy. Anyone remember the Squidgygate incident featuring Lady Diana? This is how the information comes into the hands of the press, possibly via GCHQ – but that is digressing! Listening into mobile phone conversations, was behaving like a ‘peeping tom’ but for audiophiles and this did become something of a national pastime for many people. This was soon to end though with the introduction of GSM technology and the introduction of encrypted transmissions.

Until the arrival of GSM technology, mobile phones were something of a novelty to most people and still in the minds of many people a toy for Yuppies. This changed in a big way during Q4 1997. This was the time every man and his dog decided they wanted a mobile phone. This was made a lot easier with the recent introduction of pay as you go phones. This immediately opened up the market to virtually everyone – and the world has never been the same since.

From this point things moved rapidly, new players such as Sony and Siemens entered the market. Many smaller players such as Alcatel and Sagem also tried their luck, but by this time market had matured and Nokia were rapidly consolidating their position as market leaders.

One reason, the main reason! why Nokia become so dominant was because of the ease of use of their handsets. This coupled with their innovative ideas such as changeable fascias for many of their basic handsets made them in instant hit with the fastest growing market – children. Winnie the Pooh and Tigger fascias were selling as quickly as they could be manufactured.

The one quirky bit of technology which was included in the new GSM format was a facility to send text messages. This was originally intended to make the job of the system engineers easier, the industry were taken totally by surprise when this feature becomes the phenomenon of the 1990’s. From an industry perspective this defied logic, after all; why go to the trouble of writing when you can talk? Yet again, Nokia were first off the blocks when it comes to ease of use in compiling and sending SMS messages. Anyone and everyone who was heavily into texting had to have a Nokia handset!

The next big developments were the introduction of built in low resolution cameras, MMS (picture messaging) facilities and MP3 players. From here on in it was steady progression rather than rapid advances. The next big thing to be introduced to the market was 3G technology and smart phones.

Anyone who has persevered in reading this long and poorly constructed ramble this far may well be thinking – come on – get to the point, and my point is coming very soon after I have this quick moan.

Smart phones, BlackBerry’s, iPhone3G’s, Nokia 97’s, these devices are fantastic, if you have long train journeys to make and nothing good to read, but in reality I find them incredibly frustrating to use for the purpose of actually making simple calls and sending text messages. I am not what could be described as a ‘technophobe’ but after recently canvassing opinion amongst friends and associates I have discovered that I am not alone in thinking technology for the sake of technology is not always a good thing.

The purpose of this long and disjointed article is to recommend a fantastic mobile phone to the readers of the TC blog. Ladies and gentlemen, I introduce to you, live from Tameside, my newest and best tech acquisition of 2009, I present to you The Nokia 6303 Classic. This phone is a ‘classic’ in every sense. It is the personification of simplicity to use, a dream! You try walking a dog in the rain and send a text message using the ultra high tech Nokia 97 or a similar breed of phone – not an easy task, but with 6303 – you can do it without hardly even looking at it. It has all the features you would expect on a modern phone such as 3.2 million pixel camera, (which is actually quite good), a built in radio and MP3 player, removable media. Good solid metal construction and keypad buttons actually designed for adult fingers rather than toddlers.

The Nokia 6303 classic is not an expensive phone – but it looks good, is a nice size and has a classy feel to it. If you are taking out a contract or due an upgrade it would be free. On PAYG it costs around £100. If you want a phone which does everything you could reasonably expect a phone to do without the frustration of an overcomplicated smart phone I cannot recommend this phone highly enough. I give this phone a good 9.5/10. The only feature missing which prevents a straight 10/10 is the lack of a built in torch. Other than that it is Noka back to their very best.

Have a nice bank holiday!

18 comments:

ukip said...

Oh dear, I used to have a Transportable, which was a briefcase with the handset as the (detachable)handset.
I was then one of the first 100 customers for Orange. I still remember my first flip-fone, with a retractable aerial.
My favourite phone of all time has to be the Nokia 8210, that was the best phone ever. No camera, BW screen and only a few games.
Phones have gone backwards since then. I have a two YO Nokia that is useless, the camera lens is scratched and the resolution is terrible anyway. I find it impossible to text, and almost every call drops out within a couple of minutes.
I now use computer for the internet, camera for pics and phone for ringing people:
Simples !!

SK said...

I always go for pink phones. If they don't do it in pink then I don't want it.

denton blue said...

Sorry SK, they only do it in black & silver which is not fitting for a princess. Pink diamonique is more your style.

John Yates said...

TC, what is the best network for PAYG?

Tameside Citizen said...

Ah yes UKIP, I remember the transportable. Do you remember the Vodafone advert when it was launched? If my memory serves me right it was someone sat in a rowing boat on a lake with one and it rang. The slogan then followed - be in when you are out. You must have been a real man of substance to have one of those because not only were they expensive to buy, but call costs and line rental were astronomical.

I also remember the Orange handset you refer to. It had a rubber fold up antenna which was near enough the length of phone. Prior to the launch of Orange Cellnet (now 02) and Vodafone had the perfect monopoly. Both had identical tariffs, both were extortionately expensive to use too. When you took out a contract you had to pay a £35.00 connection fee. You were billed by the minute and inclusive free minutes were unheard of. Orange, owned by Hong Kong based Hutchison Telecom at the time totally destroyed the Vodafone/Cellnet monopoly - three cheers to Orange for that! I am sure, and correct me if I am wrong, that the first Orange tariff included 30 free minutes of talk time? I know it definitely included free insurance which was greatly abused at the time. I can recall some idiot deliberately destroying a working phone and boasting he would have a new one delivered by courier within 24 hours. The main downside to Orange, and one2one (now T-Mobile) which soon joined Orange as competitors to the big two, was shocking network coverage. Happy days!

Tameside Citizen said...

Mr Yates, it depends on your usage. Bear in mind PAYG is the networks best friend because unless you are a very low user - it is far more expensive to use PAYG services than those on a contract. A simple way to work out if you would be better on contract is to work out how much you spend on top up’s per month. If you spend more than £10 a week you would far better off on contract.

Strength through Diversity said...

Does it have a feature which allows remote detonation when a racist places it next to his head? If so I will provide one free of charge to all the bigots who post on this site.

ukip said...

Yes, Transportables were very expensive, but cutting edge at the time. It was required for work and paid for by my employer.
Oranges network was appalling. when I joined I was given a coverage map, which bore no resembalance to reality. Back then I spent a lot of time in East Anglia, As soon as I got past Peterborough that was it, phone dead.
I have used the 3 network for some years, and found them quite good, they use other peoples transmitters in areas where their coverage is poor.
I am in the market to replace my useless 6288, and may well consider the 6303

Sayanim UK said...

Strength Through Diversity,

The method of assassination you refer to is popular amoung Mossad agents. Another common method is to squirt exotic poisons into the ears of "terrorists".

Sayanim UK said...

STD, below is how the professionals do it.

The man known to Mossad as "The Engineer" was a top Hamas bomb-maker. He lived on the West Bank, protected by gunmen.

One day he received a visitor - a distant cousin from Gaza. The young man spoke like so many from that hotbed of Islamic fanaticism.

Over mint tea, the two men spoke far into the evening. Finally, The Engineer invited his guest to stay over. The offer was accepted. The youth asked if he could use The Engineer's mobile phone to call his own family to say they should not worry.

He asked if he could make the call from outside the house to improve reception. The Engineer nodded. The call over, the two men fell asleep on the floor.

Next day, the youth left to return to Gaza. That morning, The Engineer received a call on the mobile. As he put the phone to his mouth and started to speak, his head was blown off.

The youth had been recruited by Mossad to plant a powerful explosive inside the phone. The detonation signal had come from a kidon half a mile away.

No one had seen him arrive. No one saw him go.

Over the past years, Mossad have killed scores of Israel's enemies by such methods.

Tameside Citizen said...

I think you and I are of a similar mindset on this issue UKIP. I too have access to all the latest smart phones, and I do have a Nokia E61i of my own which I keep for dire emergencies, but like you, whenever possible I use phones to make calls and send texts and a laptop for web use and sending emails.

If you choose the 6303 Classic I am sure you will rate it as highly as I do. There is a slightly higher specification model which is similar, this is the 6700. It has a higher resolution camera and a few other things, but from what I have seen of it the keypad doesn’t look quite as user friendly. What ever you do – don’t make the mistake of going for the 5800. This thing will drive you insane. It is totally touch screen – and that includes dialling numbers, now you try doing that with wet or greasy fingers!

UKIP FOLLY said...

UKIP just out of interest why did you not turn up for your own election in Denton NE?

ukip said...

I did not attend the count, due to ill health. I notified the elections office and asked them to pass on my apologies to the other candidates.
I was diagnosed over the telephone with Swine flu and given a prescription for Tamiflu, this was never used. This was also the first time since 1981 that I have taken time off work due to ill health!
I do regret missing the count, But, never having even had the common cold or any variety of Influenza. I did not know what to expect. I took the decision to not pass on the infection to any of the other candidates, with hindsight I regret my decision.

Dr J.H. Tenby. said...

STD, your patterns of speech are interesting to a qualified psychiatrist. They consist of:
1)Rants, which generally increase in hatred and hysteria.
2)Unreasoning abuse.
3)A refusal to engage in debate on any subject on which commenters have cast doubt on your fixed ideas.
4) An apparently pathological hatred of white people evidenced by the fact that you never criticise ethnic minorities.
I believe these traits indicate mental illness manifested by increasing paranoia and infantile, tantrum-like behaviour when people disagree with you which would explain your visceral hatred of democracy.

I.O.O.B. said...

Are UAF going down to Birmingham for the demonstration on Saturday Councillor to incite more trouble from their rapidly growing number of Muslim members?
UAF is becoming a front group for Islamic extremists just as NewLabour is the Party of Islam.

Cooper said...

UAF vs EDL. Round 2 - 05/09/09, Birmingham.

Strength through Diversity said...

You sick depraved moron. If anyone needs a psychiatrist it is you. Nutters like you who want to gas peole just because of the colour of their skin are the ones who need medical attention. Pity Dr Shipman is gone because he would have give you what you deserve.

Dr J.H.Tenby said...

Thank you for confirming ny diagnosis. Please note yours is a progressive condition and I urge you to seek professional help before you suffer a complete mental breakdown which would result in confinement in a secure mental hospital.