Sunday 27 April 2008

ID Cards Cost To Every Council Tax Payer in Greater Manchester

Ahead of Greater Manchester's local elections on 1st May, local campaign group Manchester NO2ID is polling election candidates to highlight the cost of the National Identity Register at the local level. The published costings for the scheme, estimated at £10-20bn by the London School of Economics, does not include the cost to local authorities of reworking their computer systems to talk to the Government's central ID database, where over 50 categories of information will be stored on every resident along with a life-long audit track. Manchester co-ordinator Dave Page says "This is a local issue for these local elections. Councils will have to foot the IT bill, local police will waste time chasing after people who forget to tell the Government every time they move, and local people will be forced onto giant state databases, ripe for plundering by identity thieves. "Councils around the country, along with the Welsh Assembly and Scottish Parliament, have voted to keep their citizens safer from the Database State but so far only Bolton out of the Greater Manchester councils has done so. Manchester City Council has supported the scheme without even investigating the costs. Any candidate who does not oppose this expensive intrusion wants to waste your money and put you at the mercy of Government incompetence and bureaucracy." The group is sending the following questionnaire to every candidate in every ward in every local authority in Greater Manchester, and will highlight responses on their website which can be found by clicking here.
ID Questionnaire - sent to all candidates. You will no doubt be aware of the plan to introduce compulsory ID cards and a set of linked databases to manage a National Identity Scheme. As this is an issue that will affect each and every voter, I am sending you this short questionnaire so as to determine your position on the nationalisation of personal identity.

1) Do you support plans for a Home Office agency to track the life-history of every person over the age of 16 resident in your ward? YES/NO

2) Do you support expenditure of your authority's funds on integrating council computer systems with the Home Office identity management databases and verification charges for council services? YES/NO

3) Three dozen local authorities, the Welsh and London Assemblies and the Scottish Parliament have passed motions opposing the National Identity Scheme. If elected, would you oppose the National Identity Scheme by voting in council? http://manchester.no2id.net/

So far only three Tameside candidates have answered this questionnaire; two Lib Dems and one Labour. I myself am strongly opposed to compulsory ID cards. It would be interesting to see what the opinions of the candidates standing for election think on this issue. It would be good to hear not only how they feel on ID cards but why they feel the way they do on this important issue.
Tameside Citizen

18 comments:

tonydj said...

I will not apply for or carry an ID card. I know who I am.

If my government does not trust me, I don't trust my government.

Anonymous said...

If you have got nothing to hide you have nothing to fear. We need these id cards to clamp down on terrorists who hate our freedom and who wish to cause us harm. The only people who could have any reason for opposing the introduction of these useful cards are terrorists and criminals.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if the Three Tories who did not have a police check will apply for an ID card,I can understand the BNP members not wanting one heaven knows who they are.

tonydj said...

law biding labour voter said...
If you have got nothing to hide you have nothing to fear....

STEFAN KISKO?

law biding labour voter said...
We need these id cards to clamp down on terrorists

Then why were they not introduced during 30 years of IRA terrorism?

How will having one stop them from mugging or terrorising me??

PS Am I the only person finding the "Word verification" increasingly difficult to read or decipher?

Anonymous said...

Re. Law biding (sic) labour voter: What utter garbage. I am neither a terrorist nor a criminal, yet oppose the introduction of ID cards. ID cards did not stop the Madrid bombing, nor will they stop terroriats from attack.

As 7/7 proved the enemy is within.

ID cards will prove futile. It is just another excuse for New Labour to: (i) control us even more; (ii) squeeze yet more cash out of us.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back Mr. Disco (UKIP)

Anonymous said...

I would like to know what the "Mr. Disco" name is all about. I think their is a alter ego behid the name...

Nivek Aitch said...

I carried an ID card for 26 years military service with no problem, in fact I found it to be a benefit. However this morally corrupt government cannot be trusted to either provide the ID cards in a secure manner or look after the information on the cards securely. This is another quick step towards a labour 1984. We already have an ID card with our driving licence.
Kevin Hartley Conservative Candidate Mossley

Tameside Citizen said...

Kevin, Tony and Mr Disco, thanks for giving your opinions on this issue. It appears like with many other controversial pieces of legislation – Nu Lab will go ahead and implement these things regardless of how unpopular or anti-democratic they are. The terrifying thing about these ID cards is the vast amount of information they can store on the individual, and the way individuals can be tracked and monitored by using RFID type technology. Even the visionary genius Orwell could not have imagined the scale of this ‘big brother’ invasion into our lives.

Tameside Eye said...

RFID is evil. Make sure to HAMMER your passports just in case these bastards decide to stick one in.

Anonymous said...

So you are criminal too tameside eye? As i said in a previous message if you have nothing to hide why are you worried about who is watching you - especially your own government. While there are terrorists who hate our freedom are planning to harm us we should all be in favour of id cards. I thought all you bnp people would be in favour because it will stop illegal immigration over night.

Anonymous said...

I have not received this questionnaire concerning the ID cards and I know for a fact that neither has my mother (Conservative candidate in Ashton Waterloo). However, I can categorically repeat my oft stated aim that I will not carry an ID card and would vote against any introduction and campaign against their introduction. I hope that is abundantly clear.

And, as for the 'law [a]biding labour voter' saying the usual glib "if you've nothing to hide then you've nothing to fear" rubbish then all I have to add is that I have nothing to hide but much to fear from a government that can't keep their own websites free from hackers (for goodness sake who with half a brain would use their first name as the username and their surname as the password? Obviously Harriet Harperson is not to trusted with her own details let alone mine - and she is Deputy Prime Minister!). And that is on top of the goodness knows how many cases there are now of them "losing" our details.

Oh, and "law [a]biding labour voter" I ain't a criminal - just ask my bosses at Greater Manchester Police (I passed the criminal checks when I got promotion last year). And many of my colleagues also are vehemently against ID cards too.

Dr. Paul Buckley
Conservative candidate, Ashton St Michael's

Tameside Citizen said...

Thanks for that in depth reply Dr Buckley. It is refreshing to see people standing for office and being open and honest on how they feel on controversial issues. It is worth noting that no Labour candidates have voiced an opinion how they feel about the introduction of compulsory ID cards.

tonydj said...

I echo your sentiments TAMESIDE CITIZEN.

If we are innocent, why does our Government wish to monitor us? Unless it is because we may not be breaking the law but we are going against Government policy.

Anthony D Jones
BNP Candidate A-u-L Waterloo

Anonymous said...

We live in a country where we are supposed to have "civil liberties". Your Labour government is against them because your a bunch of bullies who think they have the moral right to keep track of people to see what is being said about their precious regieme.

tonydj said...

Time to ammend your article T.C.

I have responded to the survey with a resounding NO TO ID CARDS!

Nivek Aitch said...

I have not received a questionnaire and it appears that neither have a number of other Conservative Candidates. I would welcome site of the questionnaire.
My response is No, No, Yes against.

I hope this is quite clear though I think I have already made this point on the site.
Kevin Hartley Conservative Candidate Mossley

Nivek Aitch said...

Of course, in my last posting, I meant sight of the questionnaire. I am dyslexic so these errors do occasionally happen.